Doors seem like simple elements of a home but when it is time to choose the right one, they actually present some complexity. To help you make the right choices, here are some things you should know when shopping for doors:
There are different door materials
Doors are made from different materials each with their own advantages and disadvantages. The most common door materials include the following:
- Wood: in the world of doors, woods still dominate because of its natural beauty, durability, and security.
- Fiberglass: fiberglass is quite common these days because it does not rot or swell like solid woods. With this, maintenance is relatively easy.
- Steel: steel is also a good choice because it provides good insulation values as well as durability. On the other side, steel doors can dent and rust.
- MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard): many interior doors are made of MDF. The main selling point of MDF is its stability. It is not always prone to twisting or bowing like real woods.
There are many door features and innovations you can consider
Door features and innovations include the following:
- Fire ratings: you should check the fire ratings of the doors, which are expressed in time (like 20, 60 and 90 minutes). Fire ratings represent the ability of the door to withstand and prevent the spread of fire.
- Sound ratings: if you are looking for doors that are ultra-quiet, you need to check the STC ratings. Keep in mind that the higher the STC number, the quieter the door.
- Decay resistant woods: if you have wooden doors, you should look into the decay-resistant treatments. The wood should also be treated to resist water saturation and termites.
- Detailed embossing: if you consider steel doors, you should find something with detailed embossing. The detailed embossing will look much more like a wood paneled door.
- Faux-wood treatment: if you consider fiberglass doors, a faux-wood treatment will achieve a real wood look.
So, what’s next?
The next step is to find door installation professionals. You have to remember that installing doors is not a do-it-yourself type of job because one small mistake will destroy the beauty and function of the door. It can also compromise your security and even increase your energy bill.
With this, how do you choose the right installation company? You should consider the following factors:
- Reputation: at the onset, you should ensure that the company is reputable. You can start by asking for referrals and recommendations. Aside from that, you should also read reviews. In the end, you will get insights about the experiences of other customers, which can indicate if they are worthy to hire or not.
- Experience: the company should have skilled installers with years of experience. With this, you will have peace of mind about the quality of their work.
- Cost: it is ideal if you get quotes in writing so you can compare thoroughly. By getting quotes in writing, you also get to read the fine print.
- Insurance: more importantly, you need to check the insurance of the company before agreeing. This will protect you from liabilities.